[jhb_airlines] Re: Article finished.

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:50:35 -0000

It is fairly true to say that if you want to move up to serious =
machinery
the choice of jets is immaterial because most of them are now fitted =
with
similar nav kit.=20

Everything from the CRJ to the 747 has FMS so, if you do move upwards, =
it
isn't the navigation bit that will determine your choice. I suppose it =
is
the complexity of the rest of the systems that will be the decider.

I would guess that there are three fairly distinct "layers" in FS =
aircraft.

First is the default aircraft with functional though limited panels and
hardly any other systems. Many freeware models fall into this category =
too.

Second is the above aircraft coupled to a more complex panel such as
Matthias Lieberecht's 146 and Jetstream - see
http://www.baepanelproject.com/. These panels are back to the concept
started by Paul Golding (MD80) and Eric Ernst (B757) in FS98 which =
combine
enhanced instrumentation and navigation kit with additional aircraft =
systems
functionality. They are darned good but will take you back to ground =
school
- the Jetstream Manual is 120 pages long.

The third stage is a complete aircraft package where the aircraft and =
its
panel/systems have been integrated from the start. The PMDG 737 is =
perhaps
the best known example of this. Here you start from scratch again and =
really
need to follow the included tutorials. Think of it as being at a real
aircraft conversion course.

Wherever you start consider that moving up is a continuing learning =
curve.
Even at the bottom rung of the ladder the panel layout will be different =
what you normally use and it will take time to settle down to the new
layout. One word of advice though - don't download half a dozen machines
with different panels and try to fly them all. That just becomes plain
confusing because you remember mouse clicks or procedures for one and =
forget
what they are for another. Start off with one aircraft and fly it for a
little while. If you like the panel stick with it but if you find it =
hard to
get along with try something else. I can't fly at all with the default =
B777
panel because I can never find half the knobs and taps - many major =
items
are hidden away in pop up panels.

Herein lies the crux of the matter. The more complex the aircraft =
becomes
the more you have to fly it and ignore other goodies on your system. The
bonus is that you gain valuable insight into how a real aircraft works =
and
your flying (and thinking) become closer to your real world =
counterparts.
Which is why Gerry keeps asking such complex questions - needing longer =
and
longer tutorials to explain! <vbg>