[jhb_airlines] Re: Article finished.

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:23:37 -0000

It's odd that real world pilots tend to use FS to augment their real =
world
flying whilst pure FS users tend to skip past the GA aircraft and aim =
for
the heavy metal.=20

As with you I tend to fly the aircraft I have flown for real. Fred's =
Aztec,
the Panther Navajo and the Tiger Moth are the highest number of entries =
in
the FS log book. However I do fly bigger aircraft as I am really =
interested
in systems. That is why I lean towards releases like the PMDG 737, =
Oleksiy
Frelov's Dash 8, Bill Grabowski's ERJ145 and such. I'm curious enough to
want to try these and understand the more complex aircraft systems.

I probably will generate a heap of hate mail for saying this but the =
Flight
Briefing for Pilots series was the only thing a pilot could buy in the =
60's
and early 70's - and I hated them. By the 1970's they were too =
simplistic
for the revised PPL course but we had to use them as there were no =
others. I
was overjoyed when the Thom books appeared - they were like comparing
Concorde to a Sopwith Camel..

Just to digress to another point about books. I have noticed in the =
Transair
catalogue that the RAF are now releasing their AP3456  Flying Training
Manual for general sale. I have a copy of this from way back which I
treasure. The manual covers a sort of middle ground between the basic =
PPL
books and more complex volumes like Kermode's Mechanics of Flight and so =
used to suggest that PPL's who wanted to learn a bit more about =
aerodynamics
try and get a copy (hard but they do turn up at aviation book stalls). =
No
need now - the whole 9 volumes are available for general sale - although =
it
might be cheaper going to the RAF Publications site rather than buy from
transair.