[jhb_airlines] Re: Article finished.

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:54 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

I came across a 1961 copy of Birch & Bransens "Flight Briefing
for Pilots" in a second hand bookshop in Hay on Wye some years
ago.  One of my more treasured books.  It seemed to be only
a couple of steps up from the "Running alongside shouting
instructions to the pilot before take off and God be with you on
landing" school of flying! Quite fascinating how things have
changed.  A friend of mine's son is doing driving lessons and his
syllabus is very similar to my PPL one 11 years ago - a minimum
of 40 hours training, written exams and a "flight" test, so I
hate to think what a JAR PPL course is like.

FS's great strength is that it can satisfy so many tastes.  I
enjoy slowly improving the 172 to make it more like my real world
aircraft, and in that I actually *remove* all the goodies that FS
provides like a Map, GPS, etc. and add carb heat, (as we recently
discussed), and a proper ammeter.  Just recently, having reduced
the fuel load of the default 172SP to that of the 172N, I have
increased it to add "Ferry Tanks" to enable me to continue my
round the world flight in the 172 instead of the Baron, which I
will never fly for real, so has less appeal for me. It was only a
couple of weeks ago that I flew a 747 across the Atlantic for the
first time, so after 14 years simming there are still vast
amounts of enjoyment to be had.  Add in all the people like
yourself John who add knowledge to the basic system, and one
could fly FS for a lifetime!