[jhb_airlines] Re: Anyone Feeling Constructive?

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:02:58 +0000

Tried that but hopes were dashed. It seems to be unsimplistic, possibly to stop tinkerers. The Scenery file doesn't contain any AFCADs, they only appear in his Higher Afcads scenery folder, which is there to prevent his floaters. Disabling that scenery, which I normally do as it used to cause lockups, still leaves the runway in place. The Part 8 Scenery folder contains only egng.bgl, egngexc.bgl, and egngtaxi.bgl. I tried running with the egntaxi removed but runway still present. Possibly he's created a number of Bagby .bgl files then used someting like Bglcombine to come up with something like the egng.bgl, inside which is hidden the original AFCAD. Does that sound feasible?
The other potential problem with using a modified version of his Bagby, without runways and taxiways, is that the buildings would probably be floaters and sinkers, since they'll be set to a single altitude, whilst the site undulates in several directions.

The other way I tried to use his buildings was to exclude the runway areas. The programme BGLExclude allows access to a number of excludes, on the same site, unlike the addition of an exclude line in the Scenery.cfg file. I started by creating an exclude .bgl covering just half of one runway. This went into a new Scenery, located higher than Part 8. To my surprise this excluded all of his scenery. All other attempts had the same outcome. Agin I suspect this may be the result of something GS has built in; and we can't complain about that.

Any other suggestions welcomed, though I'm reasonably close to the appearance of his version.

The use of undulating runways, in the absence of AFCAD's is a two edged thing. The major impact, and I'd be very interested to hear the reactions of others, is that I never seem to tly into AFCAD derived grass runway fields, because they seem artificial, in a way that tarmac runways produced with AFCAD don't. I make exceptions in the case of fields I know to be flat, like Barton. Barton is bumpy but not significantly undulating. The other offputting thing about AFCAD grass strips is the texture produced. It looks nicely worn but synthetic.

Trying to use the VFRGM identified grass strips, out of the box, is very unrealistic. In many cases they don't look like runways at all. I'm staggered that putting simple markers in place, no matter how few, plus a few trees, seems totally to change one's perception of the same VFRGM strip. When first I dipped my toes in this pool I'd thought it would be necessary to texture the strip, in some way, on the VFRGM tile. That's not proved to be necessary.

One of the frustrations of the non AFCAD route is the absence of AI. So far I've used the few available RWY12 statics. A much more pleasing way, and one with a smaller effect on fps and access to all aircraft, is one I've used at Ted Andrew's Kirkbride, and in my pre RWY12 versions of Bagby and Fishburn. There I've put together Traffic files that have a/c moving only in the early hours of the morning. That way, at all times during the day, I have your Tiger Moth, a Bulldog, APM20, Cub, etc, all sitting on their parking spots. I've tried to do this with non AFAD runway fields, by creating an AFCAD containing only parking spots. The hope was that, since they would be parked at bootup, not having to fly in, they would appear. Sadly they don't!

Can you not just remove the AFCAD or flatten command in UK2000 so that the
runway disappears but leaves the ground objects in place? If Gary's
buildings are GMax then they should be separate to his 2D objects (runways,
taxiways and ground polygons).