[jhb_airlines] Re: Another question!

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:05:30 +0100

Although the weather may be different on our respective machines it only
affects what I verbally pass to you. Your actual position on the radar
screen is taken from the Lat/Long position your computer sends to the
ATC server. This means your track is being shown as affected by the
winds on YOUR computer.

If I turn you onto a heading of say 320 and see you are tracking 310
then you have a 10 degree drift induced by wind, differential power,
faulty DI or whatever. Controllers automatically note any drift and
adjust for it in subsequent heading instructions.

The only real problem with the varying weather is the QNH setting and
here you ought to stick to what you have on your own system. If you
correctly adjust the Altimeter to 1013.2mb when flying Flight Levels
then, as soon as I clear you down to an altitude and pass a QNH, it
would be best simply to press the B key to adjust your altimeter to
local QNH settings on your machine.