[jhb_airlines] Re: Another question!

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:08:02 +0100

Hi Mike,

I'm glad you enjoyed the evening. I logged on rather late last night as
an unexpected window of opportunity appeared (yes, SWMBO went out for a
while)..

You are correct about the weather. Regardless of what I pass to each
pilot everyone should stick to the known weather on their machines and
fly according to that. Some pilots don't use real weather and those that
do get it from various sources.

In my case I get the latest weather from the VATSIM server to use in FPI
sessions. In the case of Carlisle last night the actual weather I got
was

EGNC 301620Z 27006KT 220V310 9999 SCT040 21/15 Q1019

In other words the last actual from Carlisle was back at 1620. I know
the airfield closed early these days so this may have been the last
METAR issued yesterday.

If your real weather program is intelligent then it is possible that it
may have recognised the METAR was out of date and looked for the closest
current METAR to Carlisle. I know that Newcastle had a similar wind to
the one you mention but it also had a QNH of 1019. In fact the whole of
the UK is covered in a High at the moment and the QNH only varies
between 1019 and 1022 over the whole country so this suggests your own
METAR data may be out of date.

Your other comment about winds affecting runway in use is very valid. I
will direct pilots to a runway suitable for the winds I see on my screen
- and this may not be suitable for some pilots with different weather.
Here I hope everyone would be sensible and shout if I offer a runway
that is going to give you a 20kt tailwind. Work out the probable runway
for the winds you have in your own machines and then, if I direct you to
a different runway, request a landing on the one you have planned for.
This should work in most cases but don't ask for 06 at Manchester if I
have four aircraft inbound for 24!

This problem will disappear when the FPI weather server comes online as
you really will get current weather then - like it or not. Having said
that I gave my pilots some rotten weather in my FSD sessions (I could
set up any weather I liked in it by copying all METAR data into a WX.TXT
file) and most seemed to enjoy the challenge.