[jhb_airlines] Re: Another one for Bones...

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:57 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

John,
Many thanks for that excellent analysis.  Nice to know that it's
a hard one to fly. I did manage it last night once I realised
that the final turn started when the RMI indicated 108 degrees.
However, I hadn't appreciated that the turn radius assumes 130
knots (does it say that anywahere on the plate?) I was doing 120
at that point so the rate 1 turn radius would be a fraction
tighter (I've got a formula on a spreadsheet somewhere) so I
could probably have reduced the bank angle to around 15 degrees,
but the autopilot doesn't do that, so it would be better to delay
the turn another degree perhaps 2.

Nor had I appreciated that the final approach track was offset
from the runway centreline (I didn't read the small print!) and
assumed that 094 was the runway centreline bearing.

One further point - If you enter the hold, then I assume that the
transition into the approach is to follow the extended hold path
out to 8DME then turn inbound? The teardrop would only be flown
by those pilots not being required to enter the hold. Would I be
correct?

Incidentally, if anyone on the list wants to practice NDB or SRA
approaches, Gloucestershire is open every Tuesday evening on
VATSIM. The controller is Mike Pike and he is very helpful and
experienced and gets quite a few people practising instrument
approaches. He isn't there next week, but will be the week after.