[jhb_airlines] Re: Another one for Bones...

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:21:45 -0000

I'll have a look at the approach plate and throw some ideas around for a
tutorial.

SDF is a Step Down Fix, so called because a true descent profile isn't
really possible with an NDB approach. The best you can do is work out a
nominal descent rate based on you speed but this can be a tricky calculation
with any wind effect. An SDF is an alternative way of looking at things and
simply means that at a certain point you can descend to the SDF without
worrying about descent rates. You can find SDF's in other approaches too
(like a VOR) if there is high ground on the approach. In this case you
descend to an initial SDF until a certain distance from touchdown after
which the descent can begin again - see EGNS 08 approach.

The problem with talking about the approach procedure is that it can make a
difference whether the aircraft is fitted with a simple ADF display or, as
you mention, has an RMI. The latter are a lot better as they take all the
mental calculations out of the equation - your dial is always showing a QDM
to the beacon.

The other point to raise about NDB procedures is that they rarely line you
up with the runway. The two major reasons for this are that the NDB itself
is located well off the runway centreline and (in a real aircraft anyway)
gyro drift can mean you are intercepting the wrong inbound direction.

Let's have a look at the plate and get back to you..