[jhb_airlines] Another Fine Mess

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:51:14 +0100

Apologies for my absence, particularly WRT the FPI demise.
On Thursday my PC went into free fall. This evening is the first time I've managed to get it to boot up. I thought I could maintain contact via my laptop but that's not co- operating.

Most attempts at PC bootup had failed before it even started memory checks etc, of which more anon.
Worst case scenario was a C drive failure; why oh why hadn't I been doing backups. Son checked this on his setup and it seemed OK. He managed to get a few crucial, non FS files on to CD, via his USB2 External Hard Drive. I'll definitely invest in one, once I've a working system again.
This evening I removed the extra 1GB DDR400 RAM cards, that I'd fitted early last week. I then managed to boot up, for a short time. Completion of bootup was followed by alarms and a CPU Overheat and Shutdown warning. On one boot I managed to get HWDoctor running and the CPU temp was over 70deg C.
It seems unlikely the Crucial sticks are the problem, since they are identical to the existing sticks. SiSandra found them to be OK. I'm wondering whether inserting in slots that had been unused for a couple of years might have triggered it off. I'd also noticed the system getting slower of late.

Anyway, eventually it's started, and CPU temp slowly dropped to 55 deg. I'll not risk anything but Email and web use. Be back tomorrow, seeking ideas on spec for a new system; far earleier than I'd hoped for.