[jhb_airlines] Re: Another FSX Foible

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:18:44 -0000

In FS98 the technologies were all very separate. The aircraft designer could
make his model and let others bolt a panel to it or change the textures. We
could build our own 2D panels fairly easily as long as we cobbled together a
selection of pre built gauges - apart from clever sods who could code in
C++.

Then along came FS2002 and the gauges were now XML which meant we could
build our own. The downside was that this sim fused the cockpit design into
the MDL file and so we could only make 2D panels for an aircraft - the VC
was stitched up in the model and untouchable. It meant that aircraft and
gauges designer had to collaborate on a design together, which is why the
numbers of aircraft designers plummeted.

I understand that FSX has gone further again and that gauges may be part of
the aircraft model. If so it is taking design further away from the
tinkerers like ourselves.

Just as a matter of interest can you alias an aircraft's panel to another
one on your system like we could in FS2004? I'll be surprised if you can.