[jhb_airlines] Re: Another FSX Foible

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:37:10 +0000

I was right, it ain't that simple. Not even starting with the simple bit.
A brief flight shows that the straightforward aliasing to alias=c172/panel.g1000 doesn't really work. It appears to but it soon becomes apparent that neither speed nor altitude ribbons work. If I do a copy of the c172.g1000 and call it Proxy c172, then that panel works OK. If I refer another aircraft to it, via a panel alias, then alt and speed problems are back. It looks as though it's tied to it via the Cessna .cfg or .air files. I've tried using renamed versions of these but the Menu wouldn't pick them up.
I'll look for an FS9 version of the Garmin

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

Again, life ain't simple!

If I alias my APM20's panel to the C172's G1000 panel, it picks it up and the panel works. I'f, OTOH, I copy the Panel.g1000 across to the APM20 and relabel it as Panel, then it's present but has the same faults as my hybrid panel exhibited.
So, there has to be a link to the FSX aircraft. Why?????????

In FS98 the technologies were all very separate. The aircraft designer could make his model and let others bolt a panel to it or change the textures. We could build our own 2D panels fairly easily as long as we cobbled together a
selection of pre built gauges - apart from clever sods who could code in
C++.

Then along came FS2002 and the gauges were now XML which meant we could
build our own. The downside was that this sim fused the cockpit design into the MDL file and so we could only make 2D panels for an aircraft - the VC
was stitched up in the model and untouchable. It meant that aircraft and
gauges designer had to collaborate on a design together, which is why the
numbers of aircraft designers plummeted.

I understand that FSX has gone further again and that gauges may be part of
the aircraft model. If so it is taking design further away from the
tinkerers like ourselves.

Just as a matter of interest can you alias an aircraft's panel to another one on your system like we could in FS2004? I'll be surprised if you can.