[jhb_airlines] Re: Another Diversion

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:27:02 +0100

I've been trying to find a way of reconciling the B1900D numbers, listed with the PDMG version, with some variation on Mike's formulae. I've not managed it. PMDG quoted figures are

WEIGHT       FLAPS      V1        Vr      V2
17120               UP        115      116     123
                        17         103      106     112
16000                UP       110      111     120
                         17        100      102     109
15000                UP       107      107     117
                         17        100      100     107
14000                UP       104      104     114
                         17        100      100     107
13000 &<          UP      103       103     113
                         17        100      100     108
Do they fit in with your spreadsheet?

Not only are the figures aircraft specific they are also configuration
specific too - different values for each flap setting.

I've been playing around with this and you can almost do away with squares
and square roots. A basic play with Excel showed that if I tap in an AUW and
stall speed my readout for stalling at various actual weights can be very
closely approximated using Mike's /x +y formula.

Take an aircraft with an AUW of 6000 and stall of 88. If I use (actual
weight)/92 +45 it gives me fairly accurate results between a weight of 3000
and 6000. Only a 1.6kt error to real stall over the whole range.

For a 2400lb aircraft at 60kt stall my trial and error gives me (Actual
Weight)/55 +31 to give only a 1kt error between 1200lb and 2400lb.

For a 2400lb aircraft at 45kt stall (say with flaps down) the figures change
quite a bit to (Actual Weight)/91 +19 - giving only a 0.5kt error.

The values obviously change for each flap setting and also the speed you are
after. Actual stall speed for a given weight and the approach speed for that
weight require differing values. For the above 2400/60 example the approach
speed determination works if you change the values to (Actual Weight)/68
+25.

To make these figures work you must have actual known aircraft values for
Max AUW and the stalling speed for every aircraft flap configuration. Only
then can you start working out the simpler formulae for the figures. It's
possible Mike has an easier way of working these out but it's not obvious to
me yet.