[jhb_airlines] Re: An Item on Yorkshire regional TV tonight...

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:18:59 +0100

I'm not sure at all what is causing the extra codes although I've seen =
the
(=3DA3) before - it is the code for the British Pound.

In searching Google for these codes I got sidetracked by a huge page on =
the
=3D codes but it mainly was a document stating the reasons why emails =
should
not be sent in HTML, RTF or MIME formats. It was quite technical and =
I'll
admit I got lost fairly quickly but it makes me wonder if these page =
errors
are caused by sending formats.

In my case I always use plain text so it is quite puzzling that my =
emails
get changed.

Found another extract that says:

The Aston and JANET (+Internet) email systems are based on 7bit SMTP and
therefore do not directly support FL characters and extensions like
receipts. Netscape, Pegasus & some other programs support MIME encoding
allowing other MIME compliant email systems to decode FL characters. ( =
MIME
FAQ)
If the recipient is using a MIME compliant program they will see FL
characters, otherwise they will see a code like =3DA3 (instead of a =
pound
sign) etc..
Use the DOS or Windows method to get FL characters.
Receipts are only recognised by other Aston Pegasus users and can cause
problems if used externally.
L&ES staff use Eudora which is MIME compliant but which will not =
understand
Receipts.=20

The above suggests that somewhere in our email system a non MIME =
compliant
program is converting the email text from FL (Foreign language) format =
base code.

Just ignore the next lines as I am typing some FL characters in and want =
see what comes back..

=C6
=A3
=C1