[jhb_airlines] Re: Active Sky

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:09:14 +0100

METAR's are only broadcast every 30 min so there really isn't any need to
set a 15min refresh. OTOH if you set a 30 min refresh you might log on a
minute before the next upload and so your data is 29 min old. I guess a 15
min refresh ensures that you never get more than 15 min old data.

In most cases the weather won't vary significantly between METAR's but when
it's bad the changes can be dramatically sudden. So much so that in real
life we can get updated actual every few minutes or so. Updated actuals
never get sent out on the AFTN so in FS land you still only get a 30 min gap
between messages.

If it's a nice VFR day then your logic is sound but if there are fronts
about or its foggy then I'd opt for keeping the updates running.

http://woodair.net