[jhb_airlines] Re: ATOC/FPI problem

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:58 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> Yes UPnP has to be turned off on my system before I could get through.
The Computer gurus on Cix say that uPnP should be shredded and burned.  It is a
major security
loophole, always, if enabled. However, they concede that the risk is less than
simply turning off
the firewall if connectivity problems arise and things don't work. They reckon
that an unprotected
PC will be infected with something within minutes, but I do wonder if this is a
bit alarmist.  They
also say that a hardware firewall built into a router is greatly superior to a
software one, but I
have no idea why that should be, or even if it is correct.  I simply accept
their greater knowledge
than mine in thise matters.