[jhb_airlines] Re: ATOC Problem; Again

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 06:30:55 +0100

I found this file and deleted it without any problem.

My guess - and it's not a nice one so I hope I am wrong - is that part =
of
the ATOC system (or FS) on your machine is loading on boot up. It might =
be
worth rechecking your system to see what is loading on boot up to see if
you've been lumbered with some TSR's that are not really needed.

There are a few ways of doing this. You can load MSConfig (mine is in
WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\msconfig.exe) and click on the Startup =
tab
to see what is being loaded. However MSConfig doesn't show all the boot =
up
processes - only those in the Windows Registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run...

You could also try EndItAll to see if that spots the problem - but I'm =
not
sure if it lists any active DLL files.

Another option is to open the Task manager and see if any ATOC software =
is
shown in the processes list. Again this lists tends to show exe files =
rather
than the DLL's..

Finally there is the good old MSInfo (Program Files\Common =
Files\Microsoft
Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe) if you can be patient when the various =
sections
load up. It's a lot more detailed than the earlier Win98 offering (a bit =
too
detailed in some areas) but it might be worth running. On a side note it =
may
be worth looking at the Components section to see if it is showing any
errors about your monitor/card problems. See the Problem Devices =
section.
Back onto ATOC go to the MSInfo Software Environment section and click =
on
the Loaded Modules line. This really will show up all loaded DLL files - =
and
it's frightening just how many there are these days..

I must admit that I'm neurotic about services and programs that are
triggered to start automatically on boot up and I've disabled a heck of =
lot of them (probably too many). My Start Menu, Startup section has just =
two
items in it and I really ought to remove the MS Office one (OSA.exe) as =
it's
not really necessary. In fact I rarely use EndIt All these days as I =
have so
few background tasks ever open - excepting those I've actually loaded
myself. Anyway, I digress...

I don't think it's an FS problem because the DLL's in the FS Modules =
folder
only load when you start FS. This ATOC DLL isn't in that folder though =
so it
suggests that it may be loading because of a specific command to run one =
of
the ATOC services. The only two that I would cast suspicion on would be =
the
ATOC Setup routine or the ATOC Voice Client as these are the only =
services
that can be triggered separately from the usual ATOC access from within =
FS
itself.