[jhb_airlines] Re: AAAAAAARG!!!!!!!!!! Yet Again

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:05:37 +0000

Despite several searches, I've not unearthed an explanation of the merits of, or intended use of, PCI-E x 1 expansion slots. Any ideas?

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

It has one PCI Express x 16; the replacement for AGP. It also "has" 3 PCI-E x 1 slots, though I can only find 2....Anyway, no one seems to say what expansion cards they are aimed at. It also has three orthodox PCI slots but here's the rub. Like many other mobos it's clearly designed by someone who has never owned and upgraded his own computer. The growth in the size of the main graphics card has passed him by. The ruddy great graphics board fan overhangs the first expansion slot, so that it's unuseable.
All part of life's glorious tapestry, and all that cr.p.

Gerry Winskill

franklyn fisher wrote:

Assuming that Gerry's new machine has PCI slots!!
Like the floppy drive they are now redundant, but for me I cannot live without the floppy drive, my backups don't need anything bigger.