[jhb_airlines] Re: AAAAAAARG!!!!!!!!!! Yet Again

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 08:49:45 +0000

Thanks for the offer but, with great foresight, or supreme pessimism, I bought a spare powered 4 port USB2 hub, from PC Solutions in Douglas, the day after I replaced the last one. However, since I don't like throwing good money after bad, I'll try the PCI card route. The odd thing is that the two that have failed have been quite recent powered USB2. Unfortunately each was the link into which two ancient powered Belkin 7 port USB1.1 hubs fed. Perhaps these weren't of Chinese origin. The oriental versions don't seem to be fit for the claimed daisy chaining.

Speaking of good money after bad; it looks as though the money spent on the PCI Expres x 1 slot Matrox G555 Dual Head was wasted. Matrox, by far the best support group I've come across, have reproduced my problem in the office. They even dound it applied to an ATI card they tried. They think there's a conflict between their drivers and the Nvidia drivers for the main graphics card, also that it's insoluble. They reckon that with PCI Express it's looking as though only second cards from the same manufacturer will be compatible. One forum member has managed two from different makers but only by going back to quite old drivers. Whenever I start my machine, with no second card, it tells me that since it can't find a second card it has disabled SLI. Since I only have one PCI Express x 16 slot I thought the warning looked daft. Perhaps its the case that the mobos now expect us all to be going for SLI and are set up with that in mind.

I may still have a spare powered 4 port USB hub (Belkin) if you need one.