[jhb_airlines] Re: 737NG upgrade

  • From: Kev Townsend <175@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 02:51:01 +0100

Hi Phil,

PMDG used the 800-900 release to complete the programming of the 737. This was at a time when 2004 came about with its change to Gmax/HTML so it enabled more systems and greater accuracy. (PMDG's experience with the "Fly" sim, has enabled programming within the panel to expand the capability of FS2004, particularly with the 747).

You are right - you get the 2 extra models. I'm not sure if any of the earlier models had winglets. Completely new Flight model too.
You get the complete FMC which I think was missing from the early package.
Different company variants (in glass cockpit choice).
System optimization, along with many graphic improvements, all switches, and much of the VC modified (I don't use the VC)
Virtual cabin for use with Active Camera although I think this is still buggy!
Load Manager added, and Cockpit audio was improved also.

TCAS is standard with the 800-900 release, there is a realistic test routine with pass announcement, It certainly works well with AI with audible warnings and the PFD and ND show danger vectors and safe areas, each contact is colour coded and labelled in relative height. I can't confirm personally that it works online, as I've been unable to see other aircraft on my FS machine, can't get the Port routing to work through my 2 machine network, but I have heard no reports to the contrary! If you see other FPI aircraft within FSNav multiplayer then there's no reason to suppose it won't work well. I think the quality of the product (and that of the 747-400) ensures this.

I would recommend the purchase, but as always am wary of spending other peoples money<g> prepare yourself though, once confident in all the systems you will want for the "Queen" which is almost second mortgage time....

Best wishes

Kev
burning the midnight oil on the 747

At 22:35 8/23/2005, you wrote:
Hi all,

I've got the 737NG 600-700 series but was wondering whether the upgrade to
the 800-900 series was worth the money?  For those with the upgrade, do you
get anything other than the 2 diffeent variant models (and associated
paintjobs) or is there more to it than that?

Cheers

Phil Reynolds
JHB037