[jhb_airlines] Re: 4Gals

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 01:57:28 +0100

Ah... Different subject and a different tutorial. <g>

It's quite easy to overload any GA aircraft but this doesn't necessarily put
it out of CG limits. The PA28-181 with its rear baggage area is far easier
to put out of CG range than the earlier 140 with a bulkhead right behind the
rear seat.

The two have different effects on the aircraft too. Excess weight results in
high inertia, lower climb rates, higher stall speed. Exceeding CG limits
creates an aircraft that has higher stick forces which may not be trimmed
out within normal trim limits. If CG goes too far aft it may exceed the
neutral point of the wing in which case very unwanted control effects may
occur.