[jhb_airlines] Re: 4Gals

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:48:56 +0100

Oddly enough this debate is going on in Prune right now.

Cessna have just launched a new aircraft  - the C162 Skycatcher - and nice
looking it is too. Basically a C150 on diet pills. See
http://www.cessnaskycatcher.com/ for piccies - especially the cockpit shots.

It looks a nice modern aircraft, but Cessna have decided that the engine to
go in it is the venerable O-200-A, built in 1948 and about as basic as a
mangle. The Prune debate is hotting up with most of the battle raging around
Cessna's concern for public liability being the reason why they shied away
from new, fuel efficient designs - old engines predate the laws and are
exempt.

I tend to agree in that GA design has evolved very slowly in the last 30
years whereas any other form of transport hasn't allowed PL to significantly
affect development. The engine in your car is so much more advanced than a
basic aero engine - the O-200A still has a carb and magnetos instead of fuel
injection and electric ignition. This makes it liable to carb icing and
magneto failure with both being mechanical devices with wear and tear being
additional problems.

If they had banged an O-200-A in with electric ignition and fuel injection I
would have considered it a step forward..