RE: working with main frame

  • From: "Jablonski, James (LNI)" <JABL235@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:05:24 -0800

Hi Margarena,

I believe the newest product Attachmate has for Windows2000 is called
"myEXTRA! version 7.1".  It is the same product they offer for WindowsXP.
In our agency, we typically run version 7.0 but I tested it and version 7.1
as well.  Both versions left me with problems routing the (JAWS version 4.51
running under WindowsXP) JAWS-cursor to the PC-cursor and JAWS announcing
screen row-and-column coordinates instead of echoing properly.

Anna Byrne on this list suggested using scripts to address the problem and
graciously pointed me to:

"Check out Glen sepke's term.zip on jfw.cjb.net.  They are for earlier
versions of JFW, but should work on the later ones as well."

I'm not up to speed on scripts and script support, and neither are our
several tech-support units.  Also, our customers prefer to avoid the need
for extra support, and since I am convinced that there is an accessibility
flaw in both "myEXTRA!" versions 7.0 and 7.1, I had our JAWS workstations
switched to a different terminal emulation product.  However, if that's not
an option in your company, it sounds like Glen's scripts are really worth
checking out.

To find out what emulation protocol you use, you could look around the
myEXTRA! screen.  I can see my "TN3270" protocol indicated in the lower half
of the dialog box I get if I go to "Options","Settings" (Alt+O, S),
"Connection" (ALT+C,C,C), then SHIFT+TAB and RIGHT-ARROW to the "Advanced"
tab and look at the information there.  On my screen, there is a reference
to TN3270, but it does not say specifically that *here is the protocol that
is being used* or anything.  I don't know if the screen looks the same if
say, a "VT100" protocol was being used.  You will probably find out faster
and better by asking whoever installed it, because you have to pick the
connection protocol at installation time.

I hope that helps a bit,
James