Re: word backups

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:50:57 -0800

Vikcki,
In Word 2000, the backups created each time I save (Control S) a Word
document as I'm working on it are placed right in the same folder or
subfolder in which that file is.

For instance: I use c:\my documents as the place to do most of my work in
Word. Now let's say I'm working on a document entitled report.doc. Now and
then, after making a few changes, I perform a Save File (control S) on the
document, which in fact is a habit of mine, because even though I have Word
set to save auto recover backups every five minutes (see that item under the
Save tab of Tools/Options), I prefer also to have a regular, easily
accessible backup I can refer to if necessary without the computer crashing
or something (which is when Word restores to the screen its auto restore
backup of the doc you were working on when the power went off).

So, in the tools/options menu under the Save tab, I checked the first item,
which is Always Creat Backup Copy. in my version of Word, Word puts these
files right in the same folder or subfolder in which the document resides.
So if the file is c:\my documents\report.doc, and I Control S while I'm
working on it, a file called backup of report.wbk is created right there in
the c:\my documents folder.
I'm thinking your version of Word probably is controlled similarly. Maybe
you haven't checked the box for Word to create backups in the first place?
Which version of Word are you using?
Hope this helps.