RE: which OS will work better with JFW5?

  • From: "Cy" <cselfridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:44:30 -0600

Hello,
  I am running Win XP Home with JAWS 5.0. I use Microsoft Outlook for my
email and, so far, things are just about like they were with prior
systems. XP does a whole lot better job of coming up after a unwanted
shut down. 98 took forever to get it all back together. Lots of memory
will make a huge difference in performance. 512 meg seems to be about
the minimum with XP. 1 gig does really nice. For what we are likely to
do most anything over 1GHZ will do a good job with Eloquence. I am still
sorry that my DEC board will not run under anything above Windows 98.
Too bad!
If the info on more than one sound board had come along before I
purchased the dufis Doubletalk I sure would not have done it. T The
speech from it reminds me very much of the old, ancient Artic and
Symphonic 215 board, mediocre at best and sorry most often.
  I would go with XP. I use a wireless router and all seems to run fine.
The kernel is the same for both 2K and XP. Of course, I still have one
computer which is a Windows 98 job with the DEC board and it also gets
along fine with the wireless router. It can even talk to any of the rest
of the computers we have here at home.