Re: what is best way to learn JAWS and the pc as a total newbie?

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:39:19 -0600

Hi, Dorothy,

Sounds to me like Jaws just isn't the screen reader for you any longer. Have you tried Hal or Window Eyes? Nothing says you have to only use Jaws and all the others are bad. Otherwise, Jaws may just be a speech only solution for you meaning, use it as if you are totally blind and rely on it exclusively for finding out what's on the screen. Then, it wouldn't really matter if you had the screen on something other than monochrome. You could just use it in windows classic, no screen savers, ETC. the way a lot of us do. If FS said they won't fix it and they won't change it and there isn't a segment of the market big enough to compell them to change their tune, that is simply the way the cookie crumbles and it is time to either adapt and use it as much as it will allow you to in its current incarnation or, seek out a product that works better for your particular situation. I had to do this with Jaws as a matter of fact. I, too, was a die hard Jaws fan. I used shell accounts in the early days of the internet with a unix platform accessed through a terminal program like Procom Plus to access the web. My screen Reader was Mastertouch and I adored it. I had to use a completely new set of instructions when I migrated to Jaws when Windows superceeded DOS the way it did. Mastertouch didn't have a windows version so, I had to learn Jaws 3.3. Railing at the injustice of it didn't help and neither did wishing they'd make a Windows version with all my heart. I had to adapt. I couldn't have gotten a job otherwise. It was time for the buggy driver to learn to use the car if you know what I mean. Whatever you do, best of luck to you.

Alex

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Smart" <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>