RE: want help with headers in Word 2000

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:16:02 -0400

I have to chime in here to say that among other things, I have to write
elaborate document automation systems in Word which make use of
templates.

They can be a great time saver for those who are well-versed in Word,
but I wouldn't recommend a beginner start trying to use them.  I've seen
to many folks get really frustrated with their efforts at templates.

A template is basically just a copy of a document, that you've got just
the way you want, and which you intend to use as a starting point for
many other documents.  Once you create a document from a template,
you've made a copy, so nothing you do when changing the document changes
the original template (as Judith pointed out).  This doesn't apply to
your normal.dot template, which is somewhat different.

This means that in order to change a template, you've got to learn
enough about templates to know how to do it (because it's not obvious).

Still, for those who want to spend the time learning about them, here's
a tutorial on Word templates for beginners:

http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange