Re: voices

  • From: "dave_d0619" <dave_d0619@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 13:37:27 -0400

Please note:  All the JAWS prompts indicated below are quoted for verbosity
being set to "beginner level".

1.  Tapping the <INSERT> key (otherwise known as the "JAWS key") on the
Numeric key pad,  nor the <INSERT> key, located in the pack of keys located
above the cursor keys between the main QWERTY keyboard and the number pad,
by  themselves, will not open the JAWS Context Menu window.

To open the JAWS Context Menu window, use the key combination <JAWS KEY+J>
.  When you press <JAWS KEY+J>, and the JAWS Context Menu Window opens, the
first item is the Options submenu.

2.  Press either <RIGHT ARROW> or <ENTER> to open the Options submenu.

3.  Press <DOWN ARROW> until the Voices submenu is highlighted.

4. Press either <RIGHT ARROW> or <ENTER> to open the Voices submenu.

5.  In the Voices submenu, there are two menu items: Global Adjustment...
and Individual Voice Adjustment...

Please Note:  Under the Global Adjustment... menu item, there is not an
option for changing a voice.  So, you need to press <DOWN ARROW> once to
highlight the Individual Voice Adjustment... menu item.

6.  Press <ENTER> to open the Individual Voice Adjustment... menu item and
JAWS says, "Individual Voice Dialog, Modify Default, radio button checked, 1
of 2".

7.  Tap the <DOWN ARROW> key and JAWS says, "Modify application (followed by
the name of the application that is running when you opened the JAWS Context
window), 2 of 2".

8.  In either option, tap the <TAB> key once.  JAWS says, "Adjust: Combo
Box, PC Voice, 1 of 4".

9.  Tap the <DOWN ARROW>key to select one of the other three voices: JAWS
Voice; Keyboard Voice; and Tutor and Message Voice.

Note:  This Combo Box will not rotate to the top of the list if you press
<DOWN ARROW> after you hear the last cursor name spoken.  You will have to
press the <UP ARROW> to go back through the list of cursors.

10.  When you have selected the cursor you wan to change, tap the <TAB> key
until you hear JAWS say "Voice: combo Box, Reed, 1 of 8".

11. tap the <DOWN ARROW> key until you hear the voice you want to use for
the cursor you selected.

Note:  This Combo Box will not rotate to the top of the list if you press
<DOWN ARROW> after you hear the last voice name spoken.  You will have to
press <UP ARROW> to go back through the list of voices.

12.  If you want to save the changes you have made, <TAB> to the Apply
button, press the <SPACEBAR> to accept the changes you have made and then
<TAB> to the OK button and either press the <SPACEBAR> or <ENTER> to close
the dialogue, which also closes the JAWS Context window.  You are returned
to the place where you used the command to open the JAWS Context Menu
window.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber