Re: verification and jaws

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:04:25 -0500

hi. Unfortunately there's nothing the screenreader venders can do about this, unless they got together with the developers of Capcha, which is the cause of most of the problems. Maybe if they did there could be a solution. But as it stands now, there's no way that I know of to automatically make JAWS, or any other screenreader I know of, to read text imbeded in a graphic. You gotta understand that when you look at these graphics, there's 2 problems. Firstly, the picture is fuzzy. It has to be so that screen capturing programs won't be able to grab the image and just use it to create fake accounts and start spamming people. So they have to make the picture imbeded in the graphic just fuzzy enough so that the human eye can recognize the letters so it can be read. Secondly, JAWS and other screenreaders rely on textual imformation on the screen wether it's a web page, or a graphic with a label. In these graphics where you have to type in the letters, there litterally is no text. It's a picture of the letters, and as I said before, a fuzzy one at that. So that's why the screenreaders can't pick it up. It'd be nice, but I don't see a way of doing it without coming up with a new system of verification.

At 08:14 PM 7/31/2005, you wrote:
Hi everybody. Does anyone know if Freedom Scientific has any plans to address the problem of verification graphics? Initially it was just Yahoo and msn that were using them, but since I've noticed more and more sites using the same thing. The text you've got to copy into the edit box is written in a graphic, which Jaws can't see, so without sighted help it's impossible to do. Granted, in some cases they provide an audio version, but I've always found it unintelligible. It would be a lot easier if Jaws were able to see the text written in the graphic so it could be copied into the edit box.
Hope someone's got an answer,
John.