Re: unsubscribe

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:42:59 -0700

I'm subscribed to a handful of other mailing lists now, and have been on a
few more in the past, and I never saw this happen so frequently on any other
list. It's not as if someone, now and then, won't ask how to unsub, and
other listers will have to remind them to look at their welcome message, or
direct them to the instructions beneath each post, or just plain provide
directions. As I say, now and then. But never with such frequency as it
happens here. I don't think we're collectively dumber, on average, than any
other list, of course. so I have no idea why this happens so frequently
here. The only practical thing I can think of is that I believe the unsub
directions ought to come up first on that information beneath the messages,
so you don't have to be patient enough to arrow down through so many lines
promoting other Web sites and mailing lists before finally arriving at the
unsub directions. I wrote in about this, but although I got a polite
response, no one seemed to think it was worth the trouble of changing this
to see if that might help.

So, I don't know. But it's weird. I mean, you get *on* the list by getting
the server's address somewhere, and doing exactly the same thing except with
the subject line "subscribe." So how come none of that sticks? I confess I'm
pretty well organized in this respect. to the point where I have an Inbox
subfolder called Lists where I keep all my welcome messages for future
reference, in case I forget something like that. But, I don't know. as I
say, it just doesn't happen all the time on other lists, not like this at
all. <Shrug>.