Re: trying to start Jaws 8

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:52:45 -0500

hi.  a really easy way to solve this is to do the following.

1. make sure you have no access technology running at all.

2.  hit your start menu key, and then press the letter r.
3.
at this point, type the following exactly as it appears on the next line without anything else.

jaws8
that's the word jaws, followed by the number 8 with no spaces between the 2.

4. Press enter. and with in a few seconds, JAWS will run. You can then go through the regular steps of setting a hot key, this information has been posted in many places so you should have no trouble finding it. Also, you should determine which version of JAWS runs when your computer starts, so that you can disable the ability for it to run when windows starts. Then, you can start JAWS 8 and make sure that's the version that runs, if that's what you want that is.
Hope this helps.

At 07:40 AM 9/10/2007, you wrote:
If you have Windows XP, Narrator could tell you which JAWS you are accessing.
At 07:26 AM 9/10/2007, you wrote:
Hello All,
I have Jaws versions 6.2, 7.1, and 8.0 on my computer and right now I am
trying to get Jaws 8 started but every time I try Jaws 6.2 comes up instead.

I'm doing this without sighted help, and I can't seem to get a hot key set
for Jaws 8 so I have just written to fs for help on that, but I don't keep
Jaws on my desktop so I go to start, then to programs, then I hit j 3 times
since I have 3 versions of Jaws and they are sorted from earliest to latest
version, then I right arrow once and hit j.  This should start Jaws 8, and
in fact when I go to start and programs then hit the letter j 3 times with
Jaws still running I land on the Jaws 8 submenu, but with no Jaws if I then
right arrow into that submenu and hit letter j Jaws 6.2 comes up and not
8.0.  Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks.
Troy

http://www.eset.com