RE: the virtual ribbon

  • From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 08:10:26 -0500

Showing my age here, but in the old days, we had little in the may of menus.
Mostly, we had to remember commands.  I still prefer to use commands to using
menus.
If I want a line of text in Word capitalized, I could go to format, change
case, and choose upper case, or I could just press control plus shift plus a.
Everything one can do with menus (and I'd almost swear, more) can be done with
keystrokes, and you can assign them yourself.  The list of Word commands
recently referenced on this list can be extended to cut out menus entirely.
I was gratified when I listened to the seminar by Hadley School on Microsoft
Office 10 to see that the ability to assign commands continues into Office 10.
So, those things that are a huge headache using the ribbons, presumably, could
be overcome with self-created hotkeys.
Here is an example of a command I created.  In Word, one can show one's changes
in a document with so-called "track changes."  Those can be displayed by JAWS
in a list, but I wanted a way to jump ahead to the next revision.
So, I created the command alt plus shift plus R
I just had to go into "Customize" (Word 2003) commands and keyboard.  The
function is "Next Revision."  I just assigned the above keystroke.
Very easy.
So, I offer this as a suggestion for those vexing ribbon problems.  I'm not
just talking about stuff in new places, but rather, stuff that is either
awkward to get to or hard to find.