success with instalation of Windows XP to new drive

  • From: "Ray Foret Jr." <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:00:01 -0600

As you can see, I am here to report success!!!  my thanks to Jack and all
other people on this list who helped with this issue.  Some things I'd like
to point out.

1.  It is of utmost importance that one follow the instructions provided in
the kit to the letter.  The tasks of filling in the information for the
nd winnt.sif and then saving the changes and renaming the file and then
moving it along with the winnt.bat file require nothing more than simple
Windows skills.

2.  With my setup, I found I had to do the following:

    a.  after inserting the brand new drive with the Windows XP install disk
in the CD drive, I had to temporarily remove the  floppy disk.

    b.  I then turned on the computer and kept pressing the F 12 key until I
heard a change in the system's behavior.
    c.  I then pressed the down arrow key 4 times then pressed enter.

    d.  Then, the CD began to grab.  At that moment, I quickly shoved the
floppy disk back in the drive.
3.  The system went to restart a couple of times.  At each time, it was
necessary to remove the floppy till the CD spun up again then re insert it.
I don't know why this is but it seemed to be the way I had to do it.

4.  upon the second restart, the music came up and I was able to invoke
Narrator and finished the process.

    I'm back on my old drive, however.  This is not because something has
gone wrong; it hasn't.  It's just that the drive is now at the point where I
want it.  IF I put it back in and started up, I wait only 20 seconds or so
and I'm at my new desk top.  So, why wait?  I'm waiting for my JAWS 6 disks
to come in and that way I won't have to bother with the quella at all.  I
can then make a slave dive out of this one and back all my .dbx and .wwab
files to my new Outlook Express and install my AVG ETC.

    Again, my thanks especially to Jack, who proved himself to be very much
a help in this regard.  I just thought that, what with all this talk of late
of how much help is too much and how to give it, y'all might like to read a
short success story for once.  Again, thanks.

Sincerely Yours,

The Constantly BAREFOOTED
Ray

Home Phone And Fax:  (985)853-0139