Re: spell checker recommendation?

  • From: "Judith Bron" <jbron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:01:37 -0400

This message was recently posted to this list.  (I'm sorry that I don't have
the name of the person who originally sent it)  It has been a great help to
me and I think you will benefit by taking a look at it.  Judith

SPELL CHECK KEYSTROKES I leave the "check spelling as you type" always
checked in Word.  Incidentally, in the jaws 3.7 verbosity list, the
"Announce Proofreading Information" has 3 states which can   be toggled. The
first, which is the default, is off, or do not detect spelling or
Grammar errors.  The second is "detect spelling and grammatical errors".
And the third   "detect spelling and grammatical errors and count errors on
Line".
This third state is my favorite.

If you choose the second item the only time you hear errors is if you
Move across or into a word by moving around one word at a time.  The third
choice tells you the number of errors on any given line by just pressing an
up or down arrow to move off that line.  Now, for a new feature that many of
you may not know about.  We all know that the F7 key starts the spell check
in Word.  However, and this is good, JAWS reads first the misspelled word
and spells it, then JAWS reads the suggested word and spells it.  This is
great for beginners.  But for more experienced users, a quicker way has been
added to JAWS to allow you to correct spelling errors without having to use
F7 and listen to all of that chatter.
The keystroke is Control+Shift+l (for errors).  Press this and you get
A vertical list of all of the spelling errors in a document.  Press up or
down arrow to go  through the list of errors.  When you find a word that you
want  to correct, just press  enter  frrom within this error list and the
list will close, and you will be on the misspelled word  within the
document, with your cursor at the beginning of the word.  Next, press
Shift+F10  r press the Windows applications key, and you will get a context
menu for that misspelled  word.  Since it is a context menu, and nothing is
highlighted, JAWS will not say anything,  but if you press down arrow, you
will land on the first suggested replacement word and  JAWS wil l read it.
If this word is the correct word, simply press ENTER and the word is
replaced in the document and your cursor is now at the end of the word.  My
favorite command to spellchecker the document is "Alt+F7."  It moves me
from spelling error to spelling error in the document, and I don't have to
worry about the spell checking dialogue losing focus. The list of spelling
errors has been changed to "alt + shift + L". Grammar check is still "ctrl +
shift + G".  You can spell words within the context menu with JAWS by
pressing Insert+5+5 (on the number pad).  This new method of spell checking
a document requires that the "check spelling as you   type" check box in the
Options menu of Word is checked. The nice thing about this is that  you can
go through a list of misspelled words in a document without having to listen
to  oth the wrong word and the suggested word being both read and spelled,
so it can be  much  faster.
Again, more experienced computer users would be the ones that I see
Using this feature more than beginners.

Another keystroke in JAWS, Control+Shift+G will give you a list of
grammatical errors within a document in Word, although I tend to use
this less than the spell check.  If you have not yet tried the
Control+Shift+E keystroke in Word, I encourage you to try it.  You will find
it makes spell checking a lot faster.  If you want to ignore a word that
comes up in
This list, just move over it and ignore it and go on to the next word.  Try
It out and see what you all think."