Re: skype

  • From: Doug Lee <dgl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:59:13 -0500

It's a program that lets you talk to friends across the Internet, by
voice, with voice quality exceeding the quality of a telephone call
and approaching the quality of an FM radio broadcast.  It also allows
you to call telephone numbers or to set up a telephone number people
can call to ring your computer instead of your telephone.  The program
is free, and calling other Skype users is free.  The two
telephone-related features I just describe are not free but are not
expensive, and you can decide whether to use those or not.  Much of
Skype now works without JAWS scripts, but I help maintain JAWS scripts
to provide further benefits.  My main focus now though is to help
Skype become natively accessible without requiring scripts and other
such screen reader enhancements.  To that end, I am a beta tester for
Skype and work with developers on making various parts of Skype
accessible.  I am not otherwise affiliated with Skype and have no
financial relationship with the company.

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 02:04:31PM -0800, Michael Babcock wrote:

   What is skype? I have seen this at the end of some people's e-mails
   and just wanted to know what it is.

--
Doug Lee                 dgl@xxxxxxxx
SSB + BART Group         doug@xxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.bartsite.com