should I upgrade to Adobe Reader 8.1

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:27:00 -0700

Hi,

I just launched Adobe Reader to deal with a .pdf file I wanted to read, and
got a reminder message prompting me to download and install Adobe Reader
8.1.

so I checked my copy of Adobe reader, and I see it's version 7.0. Now, this
is one of the fairly late versions that began to recognize the presence of a
screen reader on the system and configure itself accordingly during the
install. So it's not as if it's ancient. but I thought, okay, I'll take a
look, and maybe download a newer version.

But When I clicked Yes on the invitation message, I was taken to an Adobe
Web page where I was supposed to be able to download a new version, or so I
presume.

Well, for one thing, I see that there are two versions being offered on that
page, 8.0 and 8.1. This is a question for me, to start with: Which of these
is better suited to Jaws? Anyone know? I couldn't tell from the promotional
text describing both of them sort of similarly.

Second, for those who are familiar with that Adobe page you're taken to in
this scenario, where on earth is the link to download one version or the
other? I found various headings, and links to read the legal agreement, and
so forth, but I didn't see any control or FTP-type link for actually
downloading a program file. What am I missing?

Can anyone advise me? Thanks much.