Re: setting synthesizer language

  • From: "Hamid Hamraz" <hhamraz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:36:56 +0330

Hi,
The TXT files are merely plain texts; they don't support language tags; only a bunch of characters and Jaws will read them by its default language. For the TXT files you have to change the synthesizer language manually which is a tedious job! The best way is to use RTF format or maybe the richer text formats such as MS office word. To find out more, do this simple experiment:
1- open a blank rtf document in WordPad.
2- set your keyboard layout to English by pressing alt+shift a few times until you hear that. Note: by pressing alt+shift you are switching across the installed keyboard languages on your windows.
3- type whatever you want and press enter for a new line.
4- now change the keyboard layout again to whatever else language you want; e.g. German.
5- type the same thing.
Now let the Jaws read what you have typed. If your working synthesizer supports both English and German for our case, you will find out that the same sentence is being read once in English and once in German. Note that you don't need to change the synthesizer language at all.
HTH
Hamid
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alice Dampman Humel" <alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx>