RE: setting book marks in a word document?

  • From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:25:19 -0600

Tina:
I start by confessing that I know nothing about Word 2010; however, I know Word
2003 pretty well, and I would be shocked if Microsoft took the bookmark feature
out of Word 2010.
Remember, there are two completely independent bookmark features:
1.  The bookmarks that are a function of Microsoft; and
2.  The bookmarks that are a feature of JAWS 12.
You've been advised on the JAWS bookmarks.
You might check out the Microsoft Word bookmarks too, particularly if you want
to employ the special functionality of those bookmarks.
For instance, let's assume you have a template letter in which the date appears
on both the first page and on a header that appears on the 2nd and all
following pages.
You can identify the date on page 1 as a bookmark.  Within the header, you can
simply set a cross reference to that bookmark.
Now, whenever you use this template, you only have to change the date on the
first page.  The cross-reference in the header will pick up that text
automatically.
I think that's cool largely because frequently forget to check the 2nd page
header.
Now, In Word 2003, the command is Insert (Alt plus I) and the letter "K".
It probably isn't too different in Word 2010.