Re: save attachment / (s) from an email

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:56:03 -0800

Hi Daniel,
I think I have an answer that may work for you. The Save As dialog under Windows 7 looks quite different than it did under XP, but you already know that. The Save In combo box with its access key alt+i isn't there anymore. That used to really give me fits. The same is true for the Open dialog in Word 2007, for example, where you used to have a "look in" combo box. .

What complicates things a bit is that Microsoft wants you to buy into the concept of libraries in Vista or Windows 7, so the old hierarchical folder tree structure isn't supposed to apply anymore. Bosh, BOSH I say! For us old-school guys, it still does. So here's the deal.

When you get into the Save As dialog, forget about alt+i; it just ain't gonna get you anywhere. When you open this dialog, you'll still land in the filename field just like you always did. Now, what you want to do is to begin to press shift+tab, and you may need to do it several times. , While you do, listen carefully because eventually you'll land on what passes for an explorer-style tree view, with your libraries on top. JAWS WILL NOT IDENTIFY THE TREE VIEW, so when you hear it say "documents", which is the library in which your file would be saved by default, arrow down until you get to the Computer branch that contains your drives. Expand the branch with a right arrow, then arrow down to the drive you want and press Enter. Now, you'll tab back to the list of folders which is adjacent to the filename field. Select the folder you want and press Enter. Then tab over to your Save button and press space or Enter.

That's a rather simplistic view of things, but it should do the trick for you. Hopefully I've gotten this right, as I'm not at my Windows 7 machine; I'm still on my old XP box at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Tang (dtang)" <dtang@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Daniel Tang (dtang)" <dtang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11-15-2010 15:56

Outlook 7.

Thank you.

Daniel

Composed in the Audio Recording and Mixing Studios, San Jose, California