Re: running JAWS 6.0 as a service in windows xp home

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 10:26:04 -0700

Hi Chris,
I'm sorry you're experiencing frustration with the delay between Windows
booting up and Jaws launching.  I have Win XP Home and use Jaws 6, and run
it just as you do.  That configuration itself isn't any sort of problem nor
is it slowing you down.  I'm not sure how many seconds it takes for Jaws to
load, but as I'm usually doing something early in the morning after I hit
the button on my computer, like making coffee in the kitchen, I don't care
very much unless I have to reboot during the day for some reason.  Even
then, it doesn't seem such a long wait, not long enough to be bothersome.

So, aside from maybe going with the flow, as we used to say, or getting a
prescription for Valium or studying Buddhist meditation, you probably have
the right idea to look at what's loading in your startup group (and, as
others will quickly point out, also look at msconfig and see *everything*
that's loading) and see if you can accelerate the process a little by
deleting some things from those groups.

Good luck!

Daniel