Re: re-spellcheck in Word

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:18:29 -0800

Dean,

Out of curiosity, I followed your suggestion  to open the Tools/Options menu
in Word and tab down to the Recheck Document item which, unlike the other
items in the list, isn't something you can check or uncheck, but a control
that supposedly does something if you click on it.

So, first I typed a line of text with a bunch of misspellings in a new Word
document. Then I ran spell check, but chose to ignore a couple of
egregiously misspelled words while correcting a couple of others.

Finished with spell check, I went into Word options, on the spelling tab,
tabbed down to that control, and pressed enter on it.

the Options dialogue closed, and I was back in my document with the line
consisting of some corrected words and others still wrong. Nothing had been
done, and no spell checker was active. So I launched the spell checker with
F7 as usual, to see if this control had given me permission to run spell
check again as a blank slate, but no. Spell check just rang its chime as
usual and announced that the spell check was complete. Pressing that button
had availed me nothing.

Did you forget to mention a step in how to use this? I can't figure out
anything I might have done wrong. And by the way, if you try to launch spell
check again, hoping for the dialogue to stay up while you look for a "check
again" check box or button, that doesn't work, either. It just chimes and
says you're finished.

I was intrigued enough to give this a try, but it doesn't seem to work. Any
ideas?

So I clicked on it.