RE: request 4 help with RDP

  • From: "Peter Quaiattini" <Peter_Quaiattini@xxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:34:30 -0600

Hi -

I have a similar problem in that I have a need to administer SQL Server
on various and changing Windows machines in our environment. It is not
possible in any real way to install JAWS onto all of these machines for
two reasons: The first is that there are too many windows boxes and new
ones are added monthly. The second reason is that in a corporate
production environment, installing JAWS onto these production servers
would not be tolerated by the production control group.

I have two suggestions for you.

The first is a set of command-line Windows administration /
informational tools. Collectively they are known as the Sysinternals
tools. They are now hosted by Microsoft. The URL is:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx
Tools include:
* File and Disk Utilities
* Networking Utilities
* Process Utilities
* Security Utilities
* System Information Utilities
* Miscellaneous Utilities

You can do a lot with the Sysinternals suite of tools but my hands-on
experience is limited.

Secondly, I have had some success using Windows native tools. Windows is
actually designed with tools that can administer your local machine, or
if you connect to a remote machine, then from your own machine where you
run the tool from, you can perform adminisrative tasks on remote
machines as well. Of course, you need to be set up on those remote
machines to connect to.

Below I have pasted part of my own cheat sheet on these windows tools.
It is somewhat cryptic, but I hope you can get the gist of it.

---
Use Windows tools to administer various aspects of local and remote
computers.
start | control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management
- or from  the run dialog -
start | run | compmgmt.msc

Computer Management is a console for all adminstrative tasks.
To log onto a different computer, at the highest level, right-click or
use the applications key and specify the desired computer.

To start the computer management console from the command line as a
different user:
runas /user:<USERNAME> "mmc %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc"

To start / stop a service from within Computer Management, navigate to:
compmgmt.msc | Computer Management | Services and Applications |
Services
then tab to the right-hand panel.
Under the view menu, be sure you are showing a list view to ensure that
items are sorted alphabetically.

File administration on a remote windows server:
To administer files on a remote computer, run Windows explorer.
run |  \\servername\D$
where:
servername is the name of some server
D is a drive letter
This will start Windows Explorer
If credentials are needed, then a dialog will be presented to enter the
username and password.

Determining the size and amount of available space on a remote drive:
From within a command window, use the dir command with a UNC of the
desired drive.
run | cmd.exe | dir \\servername\d$
---

Hope some of this helps.

Peter Quaiattini
BITS OPS - Data Hosting Services
Canadian Pacific Railway
(403) 319-6579
peter_quaiattini@xxxxxx

From: "Chris Jenkins" <saveup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: request 4 help with RDP
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:15:22 -0400

Hello.

You will need to install jaws for Windows on any server that you need to
work with. Jaws for Windows has to be server side because jaws for
Windows
client side cannot read anything server-side because all that is shown
is a
graphical image that jaws cannot work with. If you do this you will also
need to purchase the remote desktop add-on package from freedom
scientific
for approximately an extra $200. There is no other way that I know of to
work with the server machine directly.

I hope this helps.

From: "Troy Burnham" <homerun@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Jaws scripts for Twitter?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:05:27 -0500

Hi All,
I've heard there are scripts for the Twitter site called Jawter or
something like that, anybody know where I can find them?

Troy

Alternative archives located at: