Re: reading pdf files with jaws

  • From: "Jean C. Turley-Sinclair" <jcts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 07:46:19 -0800

I have also been having trouble reading PDF with Jaws andAdobe 7.0. I wrote
to FS and here is the answer they sent me:

Hello, Jean. A couple of things. First, there are two versions of Adobe
Reader 7.0, a full version and a basic version. If you are using JAWS you
should make sure that you have the full version of Adobe Reader 7.0. If you
are not sure, you might want to download the full version just to be sure
and install it. You can download it at the following URL:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html

The full version is 19.8 MB in size and the basic version is only 12.5 MB in
size.

Second, just because someone can "see" text in a PDF does not necessarily
mean that the text is accessible. It may be only a "picture" of text that
has been scanned in and therefore would not be accessible to any screen
readers. One thing you can do is go to the Document menu in Acrobat Reader
and choose Accessibility Quick Check. This will report useful information to
you about the document.

Another thing you can try is go to the View menu and choose Read Out Loud
and within that submenu choose Read This Page Only (or Read to End of
Document) to test a given page. If the page is a scanned image, you will
hear the following: "Warning, empty page."

I hope this information helps. If you have tried all of these things and
still get no results, let me know and I'll see if there is anything else I
can do.
Thanks!
Dan Clark

I downloaded the full version and did the other things he suggested but I
still can't read the PDF book. I wrote customer service where I got the PDF
book and they said it was not a scanned or image only book, so now I'm not
sure what to do. I will contact Dan Clark again...any other ideas?
Jean