Re: reading pdf files with jaws

  • From: "john r. vaughn" <jrvaughn44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFWList" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:40:43 -0500

mathew, I use open book as well as K1000 quite frequently to open and read
what used to be unreadable "pdf" files which I could not read in the adobe
program because they are image files or poorly constructed adobe files.
When you use openbook to read the adobe file, you use openbook and
not adobe.   to do this, save the ".pdf" file in your 'my documents' folder.

 when you want to read the file, open your openbook program, then do a file
open
with control plus letter O and while in the "file open dialogue" box be sure
your focus is on your my documents folder which it probably is.  tab over to
the files of type control and down arrow to "adobe" and press enter so only
"pdf" files will be in the list view of files that are listed.  Then tab to
the list view of files and down arrow to the file you want to open and press
enter.  now be patient, because your openbook program  has to do what it
needs to open the adobe file and it can take a number of minutes to complete
the conversion.
Once the file is converted, you should be able to read it using openbook
with all the openbook commands, not the jaws commands.  but frankly, instead
of trying to read it, convert the file to a word document by doing  a "file
save as" command (alt key plus F plus A and and once the "save dialogue box"
opens, tab over to file types and down arrow to word and save the file in
that format to the location you want to save it to.
good luck and if you have questions write me at jrvaughn44@xxxxxxxxxxx
john in warm nightime florida