Re: punctuation that comes out as garbled text

  • From: crystallogic@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 13:07:05 -0700

This is a text encoding issue. Can't tell you exactly what you'll have to do, but you get this sort of thing when text pasted into a web document doesn't use the same character set as your browser or possibly the web server itself. Sorry, I'm a little foggy on this myself, but we have this problem sometimes on a database I help moderate. You'll have to adjust a setting either in windows live, your browser, or whatever it is that you use. It'll probably be something standard like "western European ISO"

Quoting Rik James <Ohio1803@xxxxx>:

Now, this might not be a JAWS thing. Apology there.

But some of my emails will come with the quotes and other characters as some type of garble text. Why is that and is there a setting I can use in my Windows Live Mail (version Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3508.1109) that can fix this, or prevent it?

Here is an example.
I get the daily NPR show Writers Almanac email. On my older WLM it does not do this. See below text.

It&rsquo;s the birthday of the poet who wrote about himself: 'How pleasant to know Mr. Lear, / Who has written such volumes of stuff. / Some think him ill-tempered and queer, / But a few find him pleasant enough.' That&rsquo;s the nonsense poet Edward Lear (books by this author), born in London (1812). He was the youngest of 21 children, and he was brought up by one of his older sisters.

Thanks.
Rik

Alternative archives located at: