RE: punctuation by application

  • From: Adrian Spratt <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:36:59 -0400

Hi.

I haven't yet upgraded to JAWS 12, but FS instituted a new method in JAWS 11
to set punctuation by application through voice profiles. Bill White posted
an example of how he did it, and I found it worked when I was helping a
fellow JAWS 11 user make application-specific adjustments. Here's what Bill
wrote. I hope it still works in JAWS 12:

I have an example of a profile that goes with Outlook Express. I called the
profile oe, as in o e, and the thing I wanted to change was the punctuation.
In the configuration manager, it is impossible to have punctuation set to
none, unless you customize every single punctuation entry. But in the
Profile, there is a selection, Punctuation none. So I set the punctuation to
none, and also slowed down the voice so that it would be slower than my
default voice. In this way, I customized outlook express, so it would not
read all the punctuation, and would have a slower reading rate. After saving
the profile, I started outlook express. Then I Pressed Insert+J to bring up
the Jaws context menu. From there I went back to options, voices, select
profile, and selected OE. Then I checked the box that said: For Outlook
Express. It was done, and whenever Outlook Express starts, it comes up with
the parameters I set in the JAWS profile.