Re: page layout in word 2007

  • From: Michael Arnowitt <foodsong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 21:15:04 -0400

Someone earlier explained the way to find the margin settings by using the ribbon and down arrowing to the right choice. To increase speed, I have memorized a few keyboard shortcuts and this is one of them. I type:

alt p + ma

One of the few shortcuts in Word 2007 that makes sense, ma for margins. This brings you to the Page Setup dialog box where you can set left, right, top, bottom, and make other decisions.

When I first started working with Word 2007, a lot of keyboard shortcuts that started alt something + something something wouldn't work for me every time, sometimes I had to repeat the shortcut's keystrokes a second time to get it to work, making it not very much of a shortcut. Eventually I figured out that, at least on my computer, you have to time the typing of the keystroke a certain way - you type alt + p rather quickly, wait a little bit I guess for the ribbon to activate, and then type the last two characters quickly.

The first time you use the alt p + ma shortcut you might not get the full dialog box but rather a dumbed down display. Press on the customize button. After that, the keyboard shortcut should always take you directly to the full dialog box.

A similar useful dialog box is alt h + pg which brings you to the paragraph dialog box.

Control + d is a nice simple shortcut that brings you to the font dialog box, where you can easily change font name, type, and size. You don't need the ribbon at all, this goes right to your old familiar dialog boxes you can navigate around with Jaws as before.

Michael

At 05:16 PM 5/20/2009, you wrote:
Hi: I just installed word 2007 and when I go to page layout to hopefully get to margin setings, it says hit tab or shiftt Alt followed by p. when I use tab or shift tab it talks about help and alt and P do nothing. Any help would be appreciated. John Fioravanti

Alternative archives located at: