Re: outlook express

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:51:48 -0500

Two suggestions:
1. Use individual Identities -or-
2. Use Mail Rules with one folder for you and one for your husband.

1. I had two people in a household using the same computer.  The computer
didn't use any user logon but their was a need to keep all the email
activity specific to each person.  I renamed the Main Identity to one family
member name and set up all the options and email account info for that
person as desired.  Then I added another identity and named it as the second
person; the various options and email account info for that person are then
set as desired.  There is a configuration in the Manage Identities dialog so
when the email program is launched, it can prompt for the user who wants to
use email.  Each identity can also be given a password to keep things
secure.  Setting up Identities like this keeps all the email activity unique
to each person, while at the same time everyone is using the same software
application.  It's a neat solution to a messy problem.  You can find the
menu items to add or manage identities in OE6 on the File menu under
Identities, and you'll also note the Switch Identities item in the File
menu, which can be used to switch the person using email without shutting
down email and starting it back up again.

2. A possibly easier solution, but not as elegant, is to set up a containing
folder for yourself, and another for your husband.  You Then set up two mail
rules.  Your rule would say to watch for email where the To or CC line
contains your email address, action is to move it to the folder named for
you.  Likewise, the second rule for your husband, watches for email where
the To or Cc line contains your husband's email address, action is to move
it to your husband's folder.  Technically, all the email is hitting the
generic Inbox folder, but the mail rules re-route the messages into the
specified folders based on the To or Cc email address.  Unfortunately, all
email sent out will end up in the same Sent Items folder; solution 1 above
keeps all the folders apart, so you have your own set of standard folders
apart from your husband, yet you are both using the same email program.

I don't have ready access to the computer I set up Identities on but if
you're still lost on doing that I'll try to help.  I think Identities would
be the best approach here.
-Greg Epley