other novice participants like me

  • From: "Kathy Millhoff" <kmilhoff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Org Jfw@Freelists." <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 07:42:52 +1000

Hi,  There may be some of you on this list like me:  my technology is
supplied at work and the vendor installed everything.  My job only allows
time for doing the basics - in my case, word processing, web searches and
e-mails.  I never thought I had to pay attention to very much about Jaws,
because I didn't think I needed to know much more than already in use.  I
joined this list to find help for students who use Jaws and other access
technology.
Then I had a problem and wrote in about it.  I'm the one who had the very
sluggish response to typing.  Once I got my answer I learned that there was
this huge menu on which you could adjust everything.  I changed some
settings and now have it speaking more of the graphics than I did before.
It will probably get on my nerves and I'll switch it back in a few days, but
I was amazed.  Did you all (only you novices, now) know that graphics change
or rearrange wven when you're doing nothing?  And the number of them!
Arows, hour glasses and more.
I know lots of blind people really don't care about this graphical stuff,
and I can't really say why I do, but it's been very informative and fun.  I
don't think my job will change much, but this interlude with learning more
has been great.
I apologize to those who find all this old news and also for the long post.
But I think that for those of us who don't know too much but need to use
technology, there's still a lot to learn - and it's not intimidating, I
might add.
best to all,
kat