Re: new user of OE

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:12:45 -0700

Steve,

I wasn't aware of this trick to stetget a look at the key assignment in the
.jkm file, and it's interesting.  But for one thing, very little of what's
in that list, or none of it, are the basic functional keystrokes for OE
itself, the things I'd want to know first about using OE whether or not I
was visually impaired enough to use a screen reader.  In other words, the
keyboard equivalents for the normal functional commands that otherwise
appear only in the program's menus.  Like Control R for reply, control F for
forward, control n for opening a new outgoing message,control m for upload
and download all email, and so forth.  In fact, the only such thing in that
list is, in my case, the key combo for replying directly to  sender on a
mailing list, which is a neat trick but not one of the basics of OE.  On top
of this, some of the commands really mystify me, like the one for reading
the spell check message when it finds a misspelled word.  What is all that,
with the Jaws key plus the control key plus f7  or something?  What's the
matter with just using F7 to fun the spell check, Insert c to read the
misspelled word in context, and that's that?

I'm not saying this list is useless to know about; far from it.  It tells
you how to skip around an open email by key presses instead of tabbing and
shift tabbing up and down through all the fields, if you don't care to.  But
it's not the same as a basic list of key commands for using OE, simply the
OE commands themselves.  I think suggesting this list without explaining
that may contribute to the problem I se a lot of people having on this list
of not knowing what's the program itself and what's Jaws.  It's important to
explain the distinction in order to give someone a clear idea of how things
work.