RE: music downloading programs and jaws

  • From: "Frankie V." <FrankMVentura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:08:11 -0400

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but consider the following statement -
"there is no such thing as a free lunch". Now how does this apply to music
downloading services you ask. These companies are in the business of making
money obviously. The way they do that is to sell ad space to advertisers. These
ads come in the form of trojans and adware and spyware that you have agreed to
accept in the fine print of the sign up contract. This is a serious problem for
JAWS users because much of this spyware or adware can affect how JAWS will
automatically load and sometimes outright prevent JAWS from loading. This is
the case with one of the most incidious pieces of spyware called "targetsaver".
Being infected by that one can and most probably will either completely prevent
JAWS from loading at startup or turn JAWS loading into a process that can be
measured on a sundial. One other note to mention is that if you live in the
U.S. Much of the music that is available for download i
 s copyrighted and may be a violation of copyright laws if you upload it. To be
perfectly honest I have not found any place to buy music online (ITunes,
Rhapsody, etc) that is completely JAWS friendly. From a blind standpoint
putting in the order at Amazon and waiting for the CD to arrive at my doorstep
is still the most viaable solution.
Frank